A premier choice for neurosurgery
The Department of Neurosurgery at North Shore University Hospital is a part of the Northwell Health Institute for Neurology and Neurosurgery, one of the New York tri-state area’s largest providers of neurosurgical care. Our expert physicians are on the forefront of surgical and nonsurgical treatments, and contribute to significant advances in technology, education and research in the treatment of brain, spine and cerebrovascular system conditions.
We treat a wide variety of both common disorders and rare diseases, including spinal conditions, brain tumors, cerebrovascular emergencies, traumatic brain injury and disorders than can be treated with functional neurosurgery, such as trigeminal neuralgia, movement disorders, chronic back pain and epilepsy.
What sets our hospital apart:
- 16-bed neurosurgery Intensive Care Unit (ICU) is staffed 24/7, and operated by board-certified specialists.
- We’re the first American College of Surgeons (ACS) verified Level-I trauma center in the downstate region.
- Our onsite landing zone for Northwell’s SkyHealth emergency helicopter offers the fast and safe transfer for critical care patients to any medical facility in the northeast region.
- We’re the first on Long Island to receive advanced certification as a Comprehensive Stroke Center (CSC)—earning the Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval® and the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Heart-Check mark in recognition of our ability to receive and treat the most complex stroke cases.
- For the past several years, we have been reaccredited by the National Association of Epilepsy Centers (NAEC) as a Level 4 epilepsy center, which provides complex forms of intensive neurodiagnostic monitoring as well as more extensive medical, neuropsychological and psychosocial treatment for epilepsy care.
- Healthgrades ranked our hospital as a five-star recipient for cranial neurosurgery™, seven years in a row (2012-2018).