Our board-certified colon and rectal surgeons at North Shore University Hospital perform a wide variety of complex surgical procedures. By using an innovative, minimally invasive surgical approach, our surgeons yield some of the best outcomes in the nation, resulting in less pain, faster recovery time and fewer complications for our patients.
In addition to our dedicated surgical team, one of our most unique assets is our specialized ostomy nurses, who provide one-on-one education and support for our patients before, during and after their stay. Our nurses have specialized training and extensive experience caring for patients with colorectal diseases, which enhances our patient-centered approach and supports our Magnet designation.
Our physicians are also committed to education. They are training the next generation of surgeons with our nationally accredited Fellowship in Colon and Rectal Surgery, one of only 40 programs in the nation. Our state-of-the-art enhanced recovery protocols lead to improved outcomes, which means more patients can return home to their families and loved ones and get back to their normal, day-to-day activities again.
Why patients choose us:
- Experience. We perform more than 700 colon and rectal procedures annually, among the most in our region.
- We come highly recommended. We're in the 90th percentile for likelihood to recommend.
- Quality outcomes among the best in the nation. Our surgical site infection rate is well below the CMS threshold at 0.50, and our readmission rate is below one at 0.60.
- Enhanced recovery protocol. Our patients recover more quickly and are able to leave the hospital almost two days sooner than expected with improved outcomes.
- Full spectrum of integrated colorectal care. We treat a variety of conditions such as colorectal cancer, inflammatory bowel disease, diverticulitis and defecatory disorders.