With 738 beds and a staff of more than 4,000 specialty and subspecialty physicians, North Shore University Hospital offers the highest quality care in all medical specialties. A cornerstone of Northwell Health, we are a teaching hospital for the Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell, providing a wide range of specialty and subspecialty residency programs, postgraduate training programs and clinical fellowships to educate the clinicians of the future.
We emphasize excellence, safety and innovation in all we do, including:
- Individualized, cutting-edge treatment for a wide range of cardiac conditions at the Sandra Atlas Bass Heart Hospital. One of New York’s largest and most successful cardiac programs, our Heart Hospital offers advanced technology, access to clinical trials and the expertise of a team of nationally recognized specialists. It is one of only two cardiac programs in the U.S. and Canada recognized for top performance in all areas of open-heart surgery.
- Highly skilled surgical and nonsurgical care for stroke, movement disorders and brain anomalies at the Institute for Neurology and Neurosurgery. Known as a referral center for complex, complicated cases, the Institute brings together multidisciplinary teams with years of specialized training to treat common disorders and rare diseases.
- Groundbreaking organ transplantation services, providing heart, kidney and, soon, liver transplants. Our Sandra Atlas Bass Heart Hospital was the first on Long Island to perform a heart transplant; we are the only hospital providing the full range of heart transplant services, from preoperative care to recovery, in Nassau, Suffolk, Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island. And we offer the only kidney transplant center in Nassau and Queens counties.
- Comprehensive treatment of orthopedic issues, from diagnosis through rehabilitation. Our orthopedic specialists offer a full range of services for conditions affecting the bones, muscles, ligaments and tendons, including inpatient and ambulatory surgery. Our orthopedic surgeons are on the forefront of research and have helped develop orthopedic devices in use across the country.
- The highest-quality diagnostic and therapeutic services for the most critically injured patients in the area. The physicians and nurses of our emergency department, an American College of Surgeons (ACS)-designated Level 1 Trauma Center, care for more than 90,000 patients per year and are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. North Shore University Hospital is ranked among the state’s top five facilities for trauma survival rates.
- Treatment of chronic wounds at our Comprehensive Wound Healing Center. Our specially trained team uses the latest in evidence-based care to promote healing of chronic and complex wounds.
Mission & vision
North Shore University Hospital is a leader in providing patient-centered care with a focus on compassion, safety and quality. Our core values of caring, excellence, innovation and integrity serve as the foundation for the mission and vision of Northwell Health: “Be better tomorrow than we are today.”
We are committed to educating the current and future generations of healthcare professionals, searching for new advances in medicine through the research we conduct, promoting health education, and providing the highest quality clinical care for every member of our community, regardless of the ability to pay.
We are proud to meet the needs of our large and diverse population with a wide range of medical, mental and wellness services. We work to reduce barriers to care through financial assistance for patients who require it, and provide support for the men and women of our armed services who are making the adjustment to civilian life.
Executive Director, North Shore University Hospital
Associate Professor, Medicine, Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell
Medical Director, North Shore University Hospital
Deputy Chief Nursing Officer, Northwell Health
Associate Executive Director, Patient Care Services and Chief Nursing Officer, North Shore University Hospital
Deputy Executive Director
Associate Executive Director, Hospital Operations
Associate Executive Director, Finance
Honors & awards
North Shore University Hospital is the proud recipient of numerous distinctions:
- Named one of America’s 50 Best Hospitals for cardiac surgery in consecutive years (2017 and 2018) by Healthgrades, in recognition of ranking among the top 5 percent of all U.S. hospitals for superior outcomes in heart bypass and heart valve surgery.
- Recognized by U.S News & World Report as one of America’s best hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery.
- Received Silver Beacon Awards for Excellence from the American Association of Critical Care Nurses (AACN) for our Neurosurgical Intensive Care Unit—the first critical care unit in the tri-state area—and our Cardiothoracic Unit.
- Designated a Bariatric Center of Excellence and a Renal Transplant Center.
- Earned the coveted Magnet® designation from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), recognizing excellence in quality patient care, nursing excellence and innovations in professional nursing practice. The Magnet designation reflects the highest standards of nursing professionalism, collaboration, teamwork and superiority in patient care delivery; fewer than 500 hospitals worldwide (about 8 percent) have achieved it.
In addition, our Sandra Atlas Bass Heart Hospital was rated by the Society of Thoracic Surgeons as one of the two highest performing cardiothoracic surgical programs in the U.S. and Canada.