North Shore University Hospital has 764 beds and a staff of approximately 2,800 specialty and subspecialty physicians. We offer the most advanced care in all medical specialties—including open-heart surgery, cardiology, urology and maternal-fetal medicine—using state-of-the-art facilities, equipment and technology. We also offer the most advanced neurosurgery capabilities in the region.
The Katz Women’s Hospital at North Shore University Hospital offers women the highest level of medical care in a comfortable, supportive and healing environment. The hospital also excels in intensive care for medical, surgical and newborn patients, and serves as a teaching center for new physicians and medical students. Our hospital’s experienced physicians, nurses and other healthcare professionals are committed to providing you with high-quality, compassionate health care.
Who we are
At North Shore University Hospital, you can be assured that every member of our professional staff is fully licensed or accredited, highly qualified and has the utmost concern for your well-being. You can identify every one of our employees, physicians and volunteers by his or her photo identification tags.
As a cornerstone of Northwell Health, we are also a major university teaching hospital for the Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell—with a 58-acre campus, we have the space and the resources necessary to provide a wide range of specialty and subspecialty residency programs, postgraduate training programs and clinical fellowships to educate the clinicians of the future.
Some highlights of our hospital include:
- We’re home to a Comprehensive Wound Healing Center focused on chronic wound care, and the first and only kidney transplant center in Nassau and Queens counties.
- Our Emergency Department is an American College of Surgeons (ACS)-designated Level 1 Trauma Center offering the highest level of care to the most critically injured patients in the area. The physicians and nurses of the ED care for more than 90,000 patients per year and are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. New York state ranks North Shore University Hospital within the top 5 facilities for trauma survival rates.
- Our highly regarded Sandra Atlas Bass Heart Hospital has been noted for its outstanding interventional treatments for heart disease, and in 2018, we made history by performing the first heart transplant on Long Island.
- Our Katz Women’s Hospital offers women the highest level of medical expertise and features 73 single-bed rooms, designed for privacy and comfort, so mothers can receive family-centered maternity care.
- The Harvey Cushing Institutes of Neuroscience features nationally recognized physicians to treat stroke, movement disorders and a range of brain anomalies.
- The Don Monti Memorial Pavilion provides inpatient services for cancer. More Long Islanders with cancer are treated here than at any other hospital in the region.
Mission & vision
North Shore University Hospital is a leader in providing patient-centered care while maintaining a focus on the highest quality of clinical outcomes. Our core values of caring, excellence, innovation and integrity serve as the foundation for the mission and ultimate vision of Northwell Health: “Be better tomorrow than we are today.”
As a part of Northwell Health, we strive to improve the health of the communities we serve and are committed to providing the highest quality clinical care, educating the current and future generations of healthcare professionals, searching for new advances in medicine through the conduct of biomedical research, promoting health education, and caring for the entire community regardless of the ability to pay.
By embodying these guiding principles, we have fostered innovative and progressive approaches to providing a world-class patient experience while continually striving to improve the health of the community we serve. This enduring commitment to a wellness-driven model of care has helped us become recognized as the premier regional destination for specialized healthcare services.
Here for our community
North Shore University Hospital provides a full range of medical and mental healthcare services that are tailored to the needs of families and individuals throughout our community. We seek to engage the large, diverse population we serve with innovative and effective programs that promote health in fundamental ways.
Throughout the greater metropolitan New York area, North Shore University Hospital reaches out with programs that support our community at all stages of life. From programs to fight childhood obesity and substance abuse to community health fairs, screenings, and injury prevention for seniors, we provide a road map to a healthier future.
North Shore University Hospital’s outreach efforts range from programs that help patients who cannot afford to pay to services that support the men and women of our armed services who are making the difficult readjustment to civilian life. From classroom diet and fitness programs to home safety programs for the elderly, North Shore University Hospital connects with people in our community to help them stay healthy and avoid illness and injury.
Cardiology at our hospital
In 2015, we integrated cardiology and cardiac surgery from Long Island Jewish Medical Center to North Shore University Hospital, creating a market leader in cardiac services and the destination for advanced cardiac care—the Sandra Atlas Bass Heart Hospital. With an all-star faculty and leading-edge technology, we are recognized by the New York State Department of Health for superior outcomes in open heart surgery and angioplasty.
In 2018, our Heart Hospital was approved as a full-service transplant program, which complements the already outstanding work of our LVAD (left ventricular assist device) and heart failure programs. It is an especially valuable resource for heart failure patients in Long Island, Queens and the outer boroughs who, until now, had to travel to Manhattan, the Bronx or beyond to ensure continuity of care.
Executive Director, North Shore University Hospital
Associate Professor, Medicine, Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell
Medical Director, North Shore University Hospital
Deputy Chief Nursing Officer, Northwell Health
Associate Executive Director, Patient Care Services and Chief Nursing Officer, North Shore University Hospital
Deputy Executive Director
Associate Executive Director, Hospital Operations
Associate Executive Director, Finance
Honors and awards
We are proud to have been awarded many prestigious distinctions.
- We've been named one of America’s 50 Best Hospitals for cardiac surgery in consecutive years (2017 and 2018) by Healthgrades, in recognition of being among the top five percent of all U.S. hospitals for superior outcomes in heart bypass and heart valve surgery.
- We’ve been recognized by U.S News and World Report as one of America’s best hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery.
- Our Emergency Department is an American College of Surgeons (ACS)-designated Level One Trauma Center.
- Our Neurosurgical Intensive Care Unit—the first critical care unit in the tri-state area—and our Cardiothoracic Unit have both received the esteemed designation of the Silver Beacon Award for Excellence from the American Association of Critical Care Nurses (AACN).
- The hospital is designated as a Bariatric Center of Excellence and a Renal Transplant Center.
- The Sandra Atlas Bass Heart Hospital has been recognized for having some of the best heart surgery outcomes in New York state—seven times in a row.
- We earned the coveted Magnet® designation from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), which recognizes excellence in quality patient care, nursing excellence and innovations in professional nursing practice.
This prestigious Magnet designation reflects the highest standards of nursing professionalism, collaboration, teamwork and superiority in patient care delivery. Research demonstrates that Magnet recognition provides specific benefits to healthcare organizations and their communities, such as improved patient experience and better outcomes. Fewer than 500 hospitals worldwide (about 8 percent) have achieved Magnet designation—so when you choose us, you know you’re in the best possible hands.
Our Joint Commision advanced certifications include:
- Inpatient diabetes
- Comprehensive Stroke Center
- Palliative care
- Advanced ventricular assist device
- Hip and knee replacement, spine
Our other awards, recognitions and certifications include:
- America’s 100 Best Hospitals award in stroke care, cardiac care and coronary intervention
- Women’s Choice Award, America’s Best Hospitals for Heart Care
- Recertification for Minimally Invasive Gynecology Survey (COEMIG)
- Center for Excellence in Gynecologic Oncology and Gynecology
- Outstanding Achievement Award from Commission on Cancer
- Only FACT-accredited adult HPC transplant center in the Brooklyn, Queens and Long Island areas encompassing all aspects of transplantation including clinical, collections and processing
- Cranial Neurosurgery Award
- Critical Care Excellence Award
- Gastrointestinal Care Excellence Award
- Neurosciences Excellence Award
- Bariatric Surgery Excellence Award